A tabletop gaming blog, with a vague bias towards Central/Eastern Europe and the Early Modern period.

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Spears and Pikes

So it came to my attention that Cossacks never used pikes. So I went and had a brief but satisfying conversation with an expert, and discovered that they used spears instead. He was even kind enough to provide a size reference chart to guide me (spisa is Polish for spear). Note that the sizes are given in centimeters, and meant for 15mm scale, so I have to double the numbers.

Well, when I built my Cossack "pike" men, I had given them slightly shorter weapons than my German-style pikemen just on a hunch. It turns out, the length I guessed is correct according to the By Fire and Sword guideline. So while I had been mistaken, it appears that my mistake was one of terminology and usage, not modeling.




No comments:

Post a Comment