A tabletop gaming blog, with a vague bias towards Central/Eastern Europe and the Early Modern period.

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Polish-Lithuanian bonus shots

Combining the foreign and national autoraments does get me a pretty sizable Commonwealth force:

Two Years of the Spoony Bardiche

Happy Bloggiversary to me!

To celebrate, here are some shots of my 17th-Century forces as they currently stand.

The Cossacks:

The Tatars:

Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (German-style troops):

Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (Eastern-style troops):

The pics aren't great, but they give a sense of the scale of what I've got so far. All this put together probably cost me less than one tournament-sized Warhammer army at modern prices. Historicals are cheaper, and most of these plastics were bought on sale on top of that.

I still have to make plenty of banners, paint another unit of cossack-style cavalry, assemble two units of pancerni, and of course get some terrain figured out. But I won't be purchasing any more for this project, except perhaps commanders, for quite a while.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Fun with 4ground

Just a quick shot of some wagons and my new battlefield surface.

It's an overhead shot, because I haven't yet rigged up a sky backdrop.

Sunday, March 9, 2014

here's a Mirza

The Tatars needed a commander, so I built one. The body and horse are Conquest Games Norman, the head is WGF Celt, the Arms are WGF Persian, and the bow+quiver is from Games Workshop High Elves. The helmet spire, helmet chainmail, torso plating, and bits of cloak over the legs are all greenstuffed.

The nice thing about only painting to a basic tabletop standard is that I can do so even if I'm pretty drunk.

Friday, March 7, 2014

More Tatars than you can shake a stick at!

First up: the kazindji, now with bases.

Next, a new batch of regular Tatar warriors.

Finally, a somewhat dramatic shot of all my Tatars so far. It's enough for a (smallish) battalia in Pike & Shotte.

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Painted Kazindji (tatar rabble)

Not quite done yet, they still need some touch-ups and the bases are in the mail. But mostly they're complete. I especially like how the leader and the maslaks turned out. Also, undercoating with brown instead of black turned out well. I'll probably do the same for all units that are mostly earth tones.