A tabletop gaming blog, with a vague bias towards Central/Eastern Europe and the Early Modern period.

Monday, July 9, 2012

Here be Dragoons

I painted the dragoons I posted earlier. I got a little ambitious with the officer, trying to match the illustration in the Osprey book (although gold stripes on the sleeves would have been a bit much, I think, so I restricted myself to the gold on the gloves and the pants). Also I forgot to paint the tassel on his partizan, at least partly due to the fact that I couldn't decide on a color.








Now technically, the unit is only half painted; in Pike & Shotte dragoons can change between being mounted or on foot, and you have separate miniatures that you use for each. I have the pieces for the corresponding mounted versions of these guys, I just haven't had the energy to do the helmet conversions I need to make them match up.

Also, note the horseholder in the back rank. This was my clever way to to harmonize 6-man cavalry units with 8-man infantry units, ensuring consistency of unit footprints with the rest of my army, while at the same time keeping the headcount consistent between the foot and mounted versions of this regiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment